I make these fairly often to get my chocolate fix. They’re quick (although rolling them can take some time), easy and healthy. The best part? They have no added or refined sugars because dates are naturally sweet, and are high in fiber, minerals and vitamins, including magnesium and potassium. Unprocessed cacao powder is high in antioxidants, while maca powder provides energy and stamina. Nut butters add some healthy fats and ground chia seeds add protein and melt the flavors together.
Bonus: If you are feeling artistic, you can also shape them into roses.
- 8 oz medjool dates
- 1/4 cup cacao powder (plus extra)
- 1 tbsp nut butter (almond or hazelnut butter works well)
- 1 tbsp maca powder (plus extra)
- 1/2 tbsp ground chia seed powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch, pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cardamom (optional)
- Blend all ingredients together in a food processor until it forms a dough.
- Shape the dough into truffle-sized balls (sprinkle some extra cacao or maca powder when working with the dough to keep it from sticking).
Yields: 12 servings